Printing Terminology

Updated: Jun 17

When looking on any printer's website, you're going to come across a lot of strange technical words. But the truth is that a lot of them are very simple, so don't be put off by the sea of abbreviations and terms! Here's our list of the ones that are most commonly used, that you're likely to come across.

Crop Marks (Trim Marks)

These are lines at the corners of the print that cut through the bleed to give the finished size of a document.


In order to produce a product that has full print all the way to the edge, we require just a little extra bit of the design. This is because a large quantity may shift just a little when being cut to size using the Crop Marks. So bleed refers to that extra little box outside of the finished size. For most documents, 3mm - 5mm is sufficient.


Dots Per Inch (DPI) refers to the resolution of an image or document. The lower the resolution, the more pixelated or blurry your print will be. We ask th